10 Best Places to Visit in India in September 2023
Cloudy skies, pouring rain, and cool winds. Isn’t September the best time to enjoy the smell of the petrichor in India?
There are dozens of places to visit in India in September where you can unlock the greatest joyous moments in life by inhaling the fragrance of petrichor.
With the monsoon season in its comprehensive avatar, there is no greater joy other than enjoying the raindrops after soaring temperatures.
Looking for the answer to where should you go for a pampering holiday in September in India to breathe in “mitti di khushboo? Scroll on!
Not one or two or three, there are dozens of tourist places to visit in India in September where the temptation of the rain can be best lived.
Either on a road trip with friends, a family getaway with family, and the romantic encounters with spouse/girlfriend, the month of September can satiate all your dreams.
Is September the Best Time to Visit India?
Yes! September is one of the best times to visit India because it falls in the monsoon season.
Moreover, it is just before the one month of the peak tourist season in India which starts from October till January.
You will get discounted deals on any of the places to visit in India in September for sure because it is a shoulder travel season.
September is considered the end of the monsoon period in India. Thus, it is not a brainer that visiting places in India in September is best enjoyed because of the lesser crowd.
Particularly the lush green destinations of South India, which are blanketed with the thick sheet of greenery.
The north of India cools down. The Coastal towns of India let waters hit the shore at high speed.
Less number of tourists flock to the places to visit in September in India.
10 Best Places to Visit in India in September
Whisk through the 10 best places to visit in India in September to pump up the monsoon vibes:
|10 Best Places to Visit in India in September||Famous For||Minimum and Maximum Temperature|
|Mount Abu||The only hill station in Rajasthan||22°C – 30°C (approx.)|
|Lonavala||Abundance of greenery||18°C – 25°C (approx.)|
|Wayanad||The famous hill district of Kerala||19°C – 25°C (approx.)
|Delhi||The epicenter of everything all under one place||24°C – 32°C (approx.)|
|Kanyakumari||Confluence of Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal, and Indian Ocean||23°C – 32°C (approx.)|
|Coorg||Affair with the greenery in the Western Ghats||20°C – 25°C (approx.)|
|Ziro||Leg shaking Ziro Music Festival||14°C – 25°C (approx.)|
|Ladakh||The big brother of the Himalayas||8°C – 21°C (approx.)|
|Varanasi||One of the oldest towns in the world||24°C – 32°C (approx.)|
|Udaipur||To make royal affairs like erstwhile kings and the queens||24°C – 31°C (approx.)|
- Nearest Airport to Mount Abu: Maharana Pratap Airport in Udaipur, 190 kilometers/4 hours (approx.)
- Nearest Railway Station to Mount Abu: 28 kilometers/45 minutes (approx.)
- Days Sufficient to Visit Mount Abu: 2-3 days (approx.)
- Nearby Popular Cities to Mount Abu: Jodhpur (260 kilometers), Udaipur (163 kilometers)
The mountainous terrain of Rajasthan’s only hill station is enough to persuade tourists why you should visit Mount Abu in September.
Although throughout the year is a great time to visit Mount Abu, particularly in September, the lush greenery surrounded by the Aravali Range is a sight to behold.
Mount Abu is located 1,720 m (approx.) from the sea level, and its temperature in September is pretty awesome to bask in the rain environs.
With the maximum average high upto 29°C (approx.), you can indulge in plentiful things like trekking, boating, sunset witnessing, and shopping without the stress of the blistering heat.
Not to mention, Mount Abu has its roots associated with Puranas and Upanishads. The series of temples in Mount Abu are a sight to behold because of their intricate architecture.
Doesn’t this make Mount Abu the perfect place to visit in India in September for the family?
Top Things to Do in Mount Abu
- Boating at Nakki Lake
- Hike to Achalgarh Fort
- Picnic at Brahmakumari’s Picnic Park
Best Places to Visit in Mount Abu
- Dilwara Jain Temple: Witness brilliant craftsmanship
- Mount Abu Wildlife Sanctuary: Marvel the best of flora and fauna
- Guru Shikhar Peak: Soak the panoramic views of the city
- Nearest Airport to Lonavala: Pune International Airport, 71 kilometers/2 hours (approx.)
- Nearest Railway Station to Lonavala: Lonavala Railway Station
- Days Sufficient to Visit Mount Abu: 2-3 days (approx.)
- Nearby Popular Cities to Lonavala: Pune (64 kilometers), Mumbai (85 kilometers)
Cobalt clouds, mist, and bountiful greenery is what describe Lonavala best in monsoon. It is the favorite monsoon weekend getaway for Mumbaikars and Punekars because of its proximity to Mumbai.
Admire the views of the verdant hills and embark on the fort trekking experience. You should not worry about the scorching sun because the elevation of Lonavala is 624 m (approx.) which is quite pleasing to get rid of the city’s heat.
With an average maximum high upto 25°C (approx.), Lonavala is one of the best places to visit in India in September to enjoy monsoon showers.
There are forts, lakes, vantage points, and temples that will unleash the holiday spirit in you! In September, if you are looking for a road trip destination near Mumbai, confirm Lonavala and club it with Khandala for a more enhanced experience.
Top Things to Do in Lonavala
- Trek to the Duke’s Nose
- Go for Bhaja Caves exploration
- Camping at Pawna Lake banks
Best Places to Visit in Lonavala
- Lohagad Fort: Gape at Chhatrapati Shivaji’s history
- Valvan Dam: Find solace in the lush green surroundings
- Della Adventure Park: Unlock adventure sports like zorbing, rappelling
[ Explore Packages to Plan your Trip to Maharashtra ]
- Nearest Airport to Wayanad: Calicut International Airport, 100 kilometers/3 hours (approx.)
- Nearest Railway Station to Wayanad: Kozhikode Main Railway Station, 88 kilometers/2.5 hours (approx.)
- Days Sufficient to Visit Wayanad: 2-3 days (approx.)
- Nearby Cities to Wayanad: Kozhikode (70 kilometers), Mysore (130 kilometers)
Rejoice in the bounty of nature in this rural district in Kerala. With a maximum average high of 24°C (approx.), Wayanad is one of the best places to visit in South India in September for couples.
The rain showers decorate the lush green tea, coffee, spice, and rubber plantations like the way you see in travel magazines.
If you are looking for less explored places in South India for the September holidays, count on Wayanad tourism because it has every element, including adventure, romance, leisure.
Speaking of treks, they are easy for newbies. Plus, Wayanad is considered one of the greenest destinations to visit in India in September, followed by the other South Indian destinations.
Top Things to Do In Wayanad
- Excursion to Meenmutty Waterfalls
- Enjoy bamboo raft rides at Kuruvadweep
- Marvel the serenity from the heights at Neelima View Point
Best Places to Visit in Wayanad
- Edakkal Caves: Marvel the dramatic rock formations and carvings
- Banasura Sagar Dam: Enjoy trekking, boating, and camping
- Chembra Peak: Witness the heart-shaped lake
Top Tourist Places to Visit in Kerala
Kerala Tours – What to Do and See in Kerala
Top 15 Luxury Beach Resorts in Kerala
Top Wildlife Sanctuaries in Kerala
5 Best Luxury Hotels in Kerala
5 Great Ideas for Honeymoon and Romance in Kerala
Monsoon Holidays in Kerala
[ Explore Packages to Plan your Trip to Kerala ]
- Nearest Airport to Delhi: Indira Gandhi International Airport, 12 kilometers/25 minutes (approx.)
- Nearest Railway Station to Delhi: Nizamuddin Railway Station, 14 kilometers/35 minutes (approx.)
- Days Sufficient to Visit Delhi: 3-5 days (approx.)
- Nearby Popular Cities to Delhi: Shimla (346 kilometers), Rishikesh (262 kilometers)
Call the capital of India the sedate blend of culture, art, and modern architecture. And what’s the best time to explore Delhi in September?
September is the last phase of the monsoon, where rainfall tends to slow down with September’s passing.
Plan your holidays in Delhi amidst the middle of September and then extend it. Because with the advent of October, Delhi turns cool, and the temperature here drops by 4-5 degrees Celsius (approx.), which is a pretty good thing!
When in Delhi, savoring street food from Old Delhi and South Delhi is the best experience you could indulge in.
The excursion to plenty of the historical sites in Delhi becomes easy because the sun does not trouble much.
You will meet like-minded locals in the rain showers of Delhi in September because that’s what Delhizens love to do the most apart from the winters.
The capital of India, Delhi, has plenty of outdoor activities to indulge in boating. And guess what? None of them get affected by the rain showers.
What else do you want more from the best places to visit in India in September when Delhi gets you covered with everything?
Top Things to Do in Delhi
- Stroll the Hauz Khas Fort and Village
- Indulge in a photoshoot at Lodhi Garden
- Explore the historical marvels of the Old Delhi
- Enjoy early morning cycling on the Rajpath and Connaught Place
- Dine with the views from the rooftop
Best Places to Visit in Delhi
- Gurudwara Bangla Sahib: Get your prayers answered
- Sarojini Nagar: Shop til you drop the branded stuff at the best price
- Big Chill Cafe: Staple moments of romance over a brunch
- Adventure Island: Enjoy the thrilling rides for kids and adults
Top Places to Visit in Delhi
A Guide to Street Food in Delhi
Getting Around in Delhi by Metro Rail
Best Park for Couple to Romance in Delhi
Dilli Darshan by HOHO Bus
Best Places for Bargain Shopping in Delhi
Complete Delhi Travel Guide
Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu
- Nearest Airport to Kanyakumari: Trivandrum International Airport, 89 kilometers/3 hours(approx.)
- Nearest Railway Station to Kanyakumari: Kanyakumari Railway Station, 6 kilometers/15 minutes (approx.)
- Days Sufficient to Visit Delhi: 2-3 days (approx.)
- Nearby Popular Cities to Kanyakumari: Thiruvananthapuram (86 kilometers), Varkala (150 kilometers)
A teardrop on the southern tip of India’s mainland, Kanyakumari is literally the end of India’s border from the South. As far as your eyes can see, you will see the endless expanse of the ocean only!
The best thing to do at Kanyakumari is to witness sunrise and sunset over the ocean waves. Where your eyes would stop gazing at the views, that’s where Sri Lanka starts.
Watch the confluence of the Arabian Sea, Bay of Bengal, and the Indian Ocean on a trip to the Kanyakumari town.
If you are looking for a place to visit in September in India with your family, Kanyakumari is the place to go! It is the sacred temple town of India where millions of tourists throng too throughout the year!
This culturally rich coastal city becomes pretty impressive at the end of the monsoon month when the sounds of the crashing waves are best heard.
With green hills to the north and the sea to the South, the colorful buildings dotted around its shorelines turn picturesque at the rainy month-end (September).
Top Things to Do in Kanyakumari
- Take the ferry from Kanyakumari Beach to reach Vivekananda Rock Memorial
- Bathe at the Triveni Sangam where ocean merge
- Discover the place where the Mahatma Gandhi’s ashes were kept
Best Places to Visit in Kanyakumari
- Bhagavathy Amman Temple: To soak profound religious experience
- Kanyakumari Beach: Enjoy stunning sunset and sunrise at Kanyakumari Beach
- Gandhi Mandapam: Admire the Orissa style of architecture
Best Places to Visit in Tamil Nadu
[ Explore Packages to Plan your Trip to Tamil Nadu ]
- Nearest Airport to Coorg: Bangalore International Airport, 145 kilometers/3.5 hours(approx.)
- Nearest Railway Station to Coorg: Mysore Railway Station, 117 kilometers/2.5 minutes (approx.)
- Days Sufficient to Visit Coorg: 4-5 days (approx.)
- Nearby Popular Cities to Coorg: Bangalore (268 kilometers), Mysore (118 kilometers)
Escape to the fresh air and the serenity of the Western Ghats Range in the famous town of Karnataka. Coorg is loaded with pleasant weather in September, and the maximum temperature in September hovers around 24°C (approx.).
If you live in and around Bangalore and Mangalore, brace yourself because Coorg is located around a three-hour drive from Mangalore and 6 hours drive from Bangalore. The drive to Coorg from any of these towns by private vehicle is one of the best experiences to unlock in Coorg in September.
Famed as the Scotland of India, Coorg is the Kashmir of South India for honeymooners. The blanket of lush greenery carpets the rolling hills. In September, expect less rainfall and stay at the properties perched overlooking the rainforests on your Coorg holidays.
Serenity beacons at Coorg throughout the year, but it is September that makes it more awesome. Thanks to the emerald carpet of greenery and lush green coffee and spice plantations in Coorg.
There are several vantage points which you could hike for the stunning sunset and sunrise views. The roaring waterfalls in Coorg play nature’s metal sound. Indeed, Coorg is one of the best places to visit in South India in September for 2-4 days!
Top Things to Do in Coorg
- Hear the ripping cascades of Abbey Falls
- Unfold the routine of the giant elephants at the Dubare Elephant Camp
- Tour the coffee and spice plantations
- Enjoy riverside camping
- Camp and stargaze in Coorg at night
- Hike to the spellbinding Western Ghats routes
Best Places to Visit in Coorg
- Iruppu Falls: Bask in natural beauty and bathe in the pristine falls
- Raja’s Seat: Spend your leisure time where the royals did
- Brahmagiri Hills: Trek through the 300 feet (approx.) peak
[ Explore Packages to Plan your Trip to Karnataka ]
Ziro, Arunachal Pradesh
If you are looking for a unique place to visit in East India in September, look no further than Ziro. Located in Arunachal Pradesh, Ziro is a picturesque valley that is a must-visit in September.
This is the time when the outdoor music festival – Ziro Music Festival takes place annually. Even the weather is just perfect for basking in. with light drizzle and plenty of warm sunshine, attend the energetic Ziro Festival followed by admiring the green vistas.
From lush green paddy fields to rolling hillocks, meet the Apatani tribe people and learn about their way of living on a guided trip.
With a maximum daytime temperature of 24°C (approx.), you won’t feel any dull moments in Ziro Valley because of the scorching heat.
Ziro should be ditched over the green pastures of Scotland because it is also the abode of the pine hills and rice fields.
Top Things to Do in Ziro
- Get inspired with the detailed carvings of the Sanskrit inscriptions at Megha Cave Temple
- Watch the snow-laden Himalayan mountains at Kile Pakho viewpoint
- Trek through the blue pine trees of Miley
Best Places to Visit in Ziro
- Doldo & Mado: Witness the panoramic views of the valley
- Tarin Fish Farm: See the high altitude fish breeding ground
- Meghna Cave Temple: Seek blessings from the deity
- Nearest Airport to Ladakh: Kushok Bakula Rimpochee International Airport, 8 kilometers/25 minutes (approx.)
- Nearest Railway Station to Ladakh: Jammu Tawi Railway Station, 700 kilometers/ 19 hours (approx.)
- Days Sufficient to Visit Ladakh: 4-5 days (approx.)
- Nearby Popular Places to Ladakh: Srinagar (418 kilometers), Manali (472 kilometers)
Does Ladakh need any more introduction than it is one of the best Himalayan escapades? The dream destination for many bikers, Ladakh is also a Buddhist kingdom.
The reason why you should visit Ladakh in September is the fact that Ladakh gets into its full local fervor. September is the time when the Ladakh Festival takes place annually. Leh is the main town of Ladakh where the inauguration ceremony takes place.
Watch the big riot of colors and get amazed to see the locals wearing the traditional outfit followed with prayers chanting at the monasteries. From polo to archery and monk dance, the landscape of Ladakh is wholly different.
Although, the snow-kissed Himalayan peaks add more strokes of charm. Furthermore, Ladakh in September is prone to snowfall at high altitude regions.
So if you are lucky, you might come across snowfall at the towering mountain passes if they are open for driving.
September is one of the best times to visit Ladakh because the road conditions are easy to drive with less water crossing.
Moreover, you will get good discounted deals if you will make Ladakh your base camp in September.
Top Things to Do in Ladakh
- Attend the local Ladakh Festival to bask in local fervor
- Visit the color changing Pangong Tso Lake
- Camp on the banks of the Tso Moriri Lake
- Ride the double-humped camel in Nubra Valley
- Rafting in Zanskar River
Best Places to Visit in Ladakh
- Magnetic Hill: Challenge the gravity-defying hills
- Turtuk Village: Visit the last village of India, after which Pakistan Control Gilgit Baltistan starts
- Kargil: Explore the second largest town of Ladakh and pay homage to the martyred soldiers
- Hemis National Park: To witness the Himalayan emperor – Snow Leopard
Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
- Nearest Airport to Varanasi: Lal Bahadur Shastri Airport in Varanasi, 25 kilometers/1 hours (approx.)
- Nearest Railway Station to Varanasi: Varanasi Railway Station, 5 kilometers/ 10 minutes (approx.)
- Days Sufficient to Visit Varanasi: 2-3 days (approx.)
- Nearby Popular Places to Varanasi: Mirzapur (15 kilometers), Gorakhpur (195 kilometers)
Attend the Ramlila in Varanasi, which would be held at the banks of the Gangs in Ramanagar. September to October is the time when many religious dates fall into these months.
Hailed for its spiritual experience, people often call it Banaras or Kashi, and this town dates back to 11 th century B.C.
It has more than 2,000 temples (approx.) under its belts, making it one of India’s sacred tourist places for families.
Here in Varanasi, you can break from the rebirth and unite with the divine upon the dead. So from the time you wake up early in the morning to the dawn, don’t miss a single thing to enjoy in Varanasi.
Food scene in Varanasi is also unique for those who love to devor street food. Bask in the spiritual aura of Varanasi with your family through the year.
The temperature of Varanasi does not hover maximum upto 33°C (approx.). However, the humidity might be little, but your outdoor sightseeing plans won’t get affected even in broad daylight.
Top Things to Do in Varanasi
- Ride the waters of the Ganges on the early morning excursion
- Attend the blissful evening Aarti ceremony on the famous Ghats
- Buy a Banarasi silk saree for your mother, sister, or spouse
Best Places to Visit in Varanasi
- Dasaswamedh Ghat: Watch the priest spread out flowers petals before starting the spiritual ceremony
- Assi Ghat: Perform morning yoga to harness the power of the mindfulness
- Shri Kashi Vishwanath Temple: Touch the 60-centimeter-tall, sin-absolving Shiva lingam
Read More: Must Visit Places in India to Awaken the Spiritual You
- Nearest Airport to Udaipur: Maharana Pratap Airport, 24 kilometers/1 hours (approx.)
- Nearest Railway Station to Udaipur: Udaipur Railway Station, 5 kilometers/ 10 minutes (approx.)
- Days Sufficient to Visit Udaipur, Rajasthan: 6-7 days (approx.)
- Nearby Popular Places to Udaipur: Mt Abu (163 kilometers), Kota (282 kilometers)
Although the whole of Rajasthan has my heart captured when it comes to enjoying royalty, Udaipur has my soul. Imagine royalty amalgamated with the gift of the soothing drizzles that awash all your stress.
Udaipur is the crown jewel in the heart of Rajasthan and is India’s Own Venice because of the series of interconnected lakes.
The water bodies are safe to enjoy boating while enjoying sunset views flanked by the Aravali Hills in the background.
September is when the monsoon is about to finish in the whole Rajasthan, and winter commences. The presence of the pristine lakes in Udaipur invites couples and family travelers alike to enjoy the rain showers on the lakefront.
The lakefront of Udaipur is dotted with a range of royal palaces, which are now turned into heritage hotels.
Moreover, if you are looking for a perfect wedding destination in India for September, mark Udaipur at the top of the list.
Several palaces, havelis, and local markets are flanked in Udaipur, and it is not a brainer that the 32°C (approx.) is enough to cool you down if you explore every single experience.
Top Things to Do in Udaipur
- Seek blessings from the Hindu God – Karni Mata at Karni Mata Temple
- Capture the stunning sunset at Ambrai Ghat
- Boat on Lake Pichola and Fateh Sagar Lake
- Take a heritage walk tour of havelis, temples, and palaces
- Sample traditional Marwari Cuisine
Best Places to Visit in Udaipur
- Lake Pichola: Iconic symbol of Udaipur tourism
- Sajjan Garh (Monsoon Palace): Visit the favorite monsoon palace of the royal Mewar family
- Vintage Car Museum: Come across jaw-dropping vintage cars
- Saheliyon ki Bari Garden: Relax for a while amidst the lush greenery
Top 15 Tourist Attractions in Udaipur
Devigarh Resort, Udaipur: A Heritage Hotel in Rajasthan
[ Explore Packages to Plan your Trip to Rajasthan ]
September marks the tail end of the monsoon season in India. Some places are quite wet, but that is enough, like in July and August. Heavy downpours could be experienced in September in India without any warnings.
But you can’t ignore the fact the sunshine is beautiful with less humidity and the bearable scorching sun heat. So whether you want to explore the coastal towns or the lush green destinations, you are covered with every kind of sightseeing in India in September.
If you wanna enjoy fantastic monsoon dishes and yummy tipples out in the open-air cafes under the rain-protected shade, drop by any of these gorgeous rain-friendly places in India in September.
Ready to inhale the musky, fresh, and generally pleasant sound of petrichor in India?
Best Places to Visit in India in March
Best Places to Visit in India in April
Best Places to Visit in India in May
Best Places to visit in India in July
Best Places to Visit in India in December
Best Places to Visit in India in Winter